Thursday, November 11, 2010

How do install my existing wireless N router on a new Network with pre-existing router?

I just moved into my parents house. I had previously set up an older wireless G router there. I have a new wireless N router that I was using at my own place that I want to install at my parents house. Can I just swap the units and leave everything else the same? If I do, is the network key the one from the old router or the new router?How do install my existing wireless N router on a new Network with pre-existing router?
It depends on the type and brand of routers, but some routers will allow you to change the mode from ';gateway'; to ';router';... An additional router behind the main router would have to be in ';router'; mode, and even then you would have to add some static routes to get everything working.



My suggestion would be to replace the orignial router with the new one, and leave the older one out of the network...How do install my existing wireless N router on a new Network with pre-existing router?
You can swap them, the network key will differ between routers.
you'll have to install the n router as if it's new, but it will retain the settings you had when you didn't live there. the network key will be that of the new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment