Friday, November 19, 2010

How do I connect my laptop to a printer connected to my router?

I just got a new wireless Toshiba laptop, and I need to print some things, however my printer is not a wireless printer, but supports networking. My printer is connected to my router, and I would like to know how I can connect to the printer through the router. I tried putting in the IP Address of the printer but it didn't work. Also I am using Windows Vista.How do I connect my laptop to a printer connected to my router?
Add a new printer, ';local'; through the TCPIP port. Enter the IPaddress of the printer and follow instructions on the screen...for the type of printer and driver just use GENERIC and GENERIC TEXT ONLY



After that, try to ping the IPaddress of the printer to see if you can ping it. If you can, then you should be able to print. If you cant, then I dont know what else to tell you.



Good LuckHow do I connect my laptop to a printer connected to my router?
Does your router have a built-in print server? The only way to print from a wireless laptop is to have a server. The printer could be connected to a computer that's wired to your router and that would be a server but only when it's actually on and awake. Otherwise you'd need a print server. US Robotics has a router with a built-in print server, or you could get a wireless print server. Linksys makes one and DLink makes one and maybe some others do too. If your printer is a multi-function printer, then you'd need a multi-function print server. Otherwise it'll just be able to handle the print function.
you might have configured your router to act as a dhcp server, which is assigning ip address to your laptop. just make sure that the ip address of your laptop and the printer is on the same network. it can be done if you disable the dhcp feature on the router and manually assign ip addresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment