Friday, November 19, 2010

How do I set up my wireless router when the setup doesn't detect my old router?

I got a wireless router today and the instructions has it written to use the CD first. I did that but it wasn't able to detect my old router so I can't continue. How else can I set it up so that it's secured? I have a Linksys WRT54G, if it matters.How do I set up my wireless router when the setup doesn't detect my old router?
It is not clear to me why you need to detect the old router, unless the software trys to migrate the settings from the old to the new router. If this is the case, and the software fails, you are stuck entering in your configuration information manually. You should be able to see this information on your old router by going to the config setup for that router, whether it is via some software tool that came with it, or an http interface like the previous poster alludes to.



According to the Linksys user guide, 192.168.1.1 is the default self-assigned address for the router on the LAN.



Scroll through the settings on the old router, write them down, and then configure the new router by hand through its built-in http server. Since your ISP password may be hidden in the setup pages for the old router, you will have to remember this one bit of info on your own. If you no longer recall it, call up your ISP and have the password reset.



See pages 2 and 9 of the manual below to get information on wireless security setup.How do I set up my wireless router when the setup doesn't detect my old router?
Hook your modem up to your router. Once that is done, type in the address bar of what ever internet browser you use put this in 192.168.1.1 leave the user name blank and the password is admin. Its been forever since I've used a Linksys...hope this is right.



Screw the cd.

No comments:

Post a Comment