Sunday, November 21, 2010

How can I hide my wireless router from being broadcast to other people?

I'm trying to hide my router from being broadcast to other people and i already have a secured router. I just wanted to be broadcast in my home not my neighbors.How can I hide my wireless router from being broadcast to other people?
Seeting up your your router SSID for wireless connection



You have to restrict your wireless router from people connecting through your network by using SSID authentication.

You need to enable your SSID Broadcast on your router so that anyone that connect using wireless have to enter the SSID key generate by your router.

Also you can make the Key length of 128bit to make it dificult to hack or get.

It is really technical but if you follow the manual instructions you might get more information about how to setup you SSID for your router.How can I hide my wireless router from being broadcast to other people?
Wireless encryption can be useless. Cable in my area is through Charter - which won't allow the cable modem itself to encrypt outgoing data. Why have wireless security when the cable is unsecure? Limit MAC addresses, turn off DHCP and go STATIC, turn off SSID Broadcast, use an out of band channel.

Report Abuse


I said the above because, wireless encryption can cause more hassle than it IS worth. Chances are - noone wants your data - and the data they do want is probably already encrypted by your browser. Sure data encryption is a GREAT idea, however many people are overly worried.

Report Abuse


Basically you set your router to use WPA encryption (and you'll have to put the same key into your computers that you put into the router. The key is a phrase you make up - make it a long one, but one you can't forget).



It really doesn't matter if people can see the router broadcast - they can't use the router unless they know the key.
Disable the SSID. Depending on the router, go into router configuration, and under wireless - broadcast - disable.

Voila
It's just a matter of going to your gateway and secure and encrypting your connection.



This website does an excellent job providing step by step instructions: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone
Sure, but you can also set it up to protect your computer and still allow those within range to access your wireless.



Charge your neighbors $10 a month to use your wireless. I'd give you $10.
  • external harddrive to use
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment