Tuesday, November 16, 2010

How should I go about getting a new router?

I'm getting a new desktop in a couple of weeks, and I want to get a new (wireless) router to accompany it.

1. Do I get the router from Verizon, or from a store like Best Buy?

2. When I hook up my new computer, would I just install the router myself, or would I need to call up Verizon for assistance?



BONUS: What router would you recommend, considering it will be used by one desktop and one laptop?



Thanks everyone!How should I go about getting a new router?
First and most important, what hardware do you have now?

In my area, Verizon supplies a modem/router with a new subscription. If you already have a router, you are asking for a real pain if you attempt to install a second router.

If you have a modem/router that is not wireless, then buy a wireless access point instead. Plug that into the existing router to create your WIFI network.



I know that Verizon has also supplied wireless modem routers. If that's what you have, you don't need to buy anything. Call verizon and they will help you set it up.



Assuming you have a simple modem, and no router, then you can purchase any of the major brands and get good results. You can talk to Verizon, but I think they would want to sell you a modem/router package, and that might cost a bit more. D-link, Netgear, Linksys, Belkin are all good and get the job done. I have had success with all of them.

If you want a recommendation, I'd say D-link, because they have the best web based interface for working with the router. (I never use the setup wizard and CD to set up any router. Hook up to the LAN side with a patch cord, access the interface and set it up. It's easier and faster than dealing with the wizard)



Good luck and come on back if you get stuckHow should I go about getting a new router?
The cheapest place to get a router would likely be online. You can install it yourself and it is very easy. I would recommend buying from www.newegg.com as they are very reliable and their products all have consumer reviews so it easy to find a good product. I would recommend Linksys or D-Link brand wireless routers as they are quite reliable.
I bought Netgear wireless router from Wall-mart store (but you can buy it from any store,it does not matter).Hook up you do yourselfe,it is easy.Toset it up ihad aproblem and called Netgear tech support and they helped me alot.Router works good 6 ms already.

No comments:

Post a Comment