Friday, November 19, 2010

How do I run signal to a wireless router, from an ethernet card?

I get my internet stream from my free city wireless provider. The stream enters my computer through a linksys network adapter with three antennas and an amplifier built in. It feeds an internal card. It works really well and I'd like to continue using it, but I want to send it to other computers in my apartment via wireless connection.



I want to use an ethernet card in an adjacent slot to feed a router that will transmit wireless signal across my apartment. For some reason the router will not install when attached to the output of the ethernet card. Should I just use a cross-over cable? Normally you run a ethernet cable from the wall to the router, to all of the computers, but I don't have this 'wall jack' feature in my apartment.



Much obliged.How do I run signal to a wireless router, from an ethernet card?
A couple of things: 1/ Assuming that you are XP, start your network setup wizard on the PC with the wireless and ethernet. Setup this PC as a residential gateway where other computers connect THROUGH you. This will turn on IP routing and DHCP server. 2/ Make sure you setup your firewall settings on this computer properly. 3/You may need a crossover cable. Check your routers specs to see if it is auto sensing on the Internet port. 4/ As just implied, cable to the Internet port on the router, as your PC is towards the Internet from the router's perspective. 5/ the rest of the PC's in your apartment should be default DHCP client with no special config.



P.S. I am sure you can do this with XP pro. Don't know about XP home. If you have home, then check the M$ website to see if it supports routing. I think it does.



If you are not XP, let us know.How do I run signal to a wireless router, from an ethernet card?
go to router set up .set up network names for other pc's wireless network cards
what babe said
Don't forget to run the cd that came with your router, to install the router. I also have a linksys router, and all I had to do, was install it through the cd. Also, you may need to push the reset button in the back of the router, to reset it, for 30 seconds..Did you run the setup for the other computers you want to connect to? Make sure they all have a wireless card, so they can connect to the router. If you have to install any wireless cards, make sure you run the install disk that came with them..good luck..

No comments:

Post a Comment