Friday, November 19, 2010

If I add a wired router to my my wireless router, how does that affect file sharing?

I have a wireless Linksys 54G router. I have three gaming computers that I would like send hard lines to. I would like to just add one ethernet wire to another wire only router in that room and then hook these three up to the secondary router.



My question is if I do this, will still be able access shared data on computers hooked up to the first router?If I add a wired router to my my wireless router, how does that affect file sharing?
Yes. Say you have 2 sets of 4port switch, but you need 6 available ports, you just simply connect both switches and you get 6 available ports, in a single LAN. Same thing goes to WLAN and LAN.If I add a wired router to my my wireless router, how does that affect file sharing?
you wil get viruses and spyware
Use 1 router and use splitter or switch to distribute cables to other rooms. No need for another router.
Make sure everything is in the same workgroup



Set the best kind of wireless security in your case



Drop the wireless router down to a simple wireless access point which will then just pass through DHCP requests and TCP/IP traffic without trying to do anything else. Multiple routers on a home network can be tricky.
Sure you can. But you will need a crossover cable to make it work. There should be no issues doing it this way.



Fernando doesn't know what he is talking about. There is no spyware of malware involved by changing your internal network.
yes, you will be able to share the folders unless you put your wired router and wireless router on the same network, eg. give wired router IP 192.168.0.3

wireless router IP 192.168.0.6 then start dhcp ip from 192.168.0.10 to whatever.



Eliena

http://arsenicinfo.blogspot.com
Yes you will still be able to share files. The key here is that you will be using the 2nd router as just a switch, in the settings of the 2nd one, there will usually be options to put it into router mode and not gateway mode. Also disable any DHCP server on the 2nd router. If you google your router make and model, you will most likely find lost of tutorials and forum posts on how to do it for your router.
The posts I have seen miss the MAJOR point. You can only have 1 router on your network as long a all the machines are connecting to the same subnet.

If you have 2 routers trying to assign addresses to the same subnet, they will conflict and take the entire network down.

Use a SWITCH not a router as the secondary split point for the machines.

No comments:

Post a Comment