Sunday, November 21, 2010

How can I network my printer with two computers and a wireless router?

I have an inkjet printer, desktop PC, a laptop, and a D-Link wireless router. Can I leave my printer plugged into my desktop and network it so that I can print to it from my laptop, via the router?How can I network my printer with two computers and a wireless router?
Yes you can. However, if you want to print, the desktop has to be on. Here's how you do it

1) Go to Printers and right click on your printer. Enable the sharing and remember the printer name.

2) Make sure all of your computers are on the same workgroup / domain. Then check the name of the computers (Right-click my computer, click properties, then go to name). Write down the names of both computers.

3) Then, go to your laptop. Go to Printers, and click Add Printer. When it asks for local or network, click network. Then (assuming you're using Windows XP) and click the second button. Type in \\yourdesktopnamehere\printername (replace the yourdesktopnamehere and printername with the desktop name and the printer name. Hit next. You should be able to connect, and then finish the setup.

4) To test that it works, go to Word or Notepad and print a page. It should work.How can I network my printer with two computers and a wireless router?
(This is on your desktop)Go to control panel,printers and faxes, right click your printer, left click sharing...., then share this printer and give it a name.
I am assuming that the two computers are on the same network but if not use the network set up wizard at Start%26gt;Programs%26gt;Accessories%26gt;Communication ...



Your ink jet is most likely not network capable but you can set it up as a ';shared'; printer on your network. In order for this to work both computers have to be turned on. On your desktop that the printer is attached to go to your Printers and Faxes folder (control panel) right click on the printer you want to share and select sharing from the menu that pops up. Follow the easy share set up steps and you are good to go.



Go to the laptop now and in your Printers and Faxes folder select Add new Printer. Select network printer and browse to your desktop and select your ink jet ... Windows will set up the necessary drivers (rare cases you will need to install the printer drivers on the laptop from the printer setup disk)
You could get a network print server, they price from about $30 and up, and connect printer to router directly (or wirelessly depending on the print server you chose, since u already have D-link rtr D-link print server would be good choice) do a print server search at these sites...

No comments:

Post a Comment