Sunday, November 14, 2010

How do I get my desktop computer to connect to the internet while using a wireless router?

I have a Westell DSL modem and a Netgear WPN824 rangemax wirelss router. When the router is connected my laptop recieves the signal through the wireless card but my desktop does not have internet access. My desktop does not have a wireless card. My desktop does have access when I reconnect the cables to my modem.



Is this the way the router is supposed to work or do I have a defective router? Or is my router configured incorrectly? Or am I supposed to have a wireless card for my desktop?How do I get my desktop computer to connect to the internet while using a wireless router?
You need to get a wireless adapter for your desktop to make your desktop wireless so that you can connect it to your wireless router.



It looks something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/b/102-2841597-9231



You just stick it to the back of your computer and it will allow your desktop to receive wireless connection to your router. Otherwise, you will need a cable to connect to it.How do I get my desktop computer to connect to the internet while using a wireless router?
Take the line running from your Westell Modem and place it into the WAN port on your Router. Now if you have your router configured with the prope PPPoe settings (username %26amp; password and all that jazz) you should be able to connect a line to your computer and connect to the router wirelessly at the same time. if you need any more help email me. i will send you a diagram if you need it. good luck
I have never used the DSL modem. It is in the bed room under the bed still in the box. I bought wireless router from walmart with 4 wired ports. I pluged the wan port on the router into the DSL plug on the wall and programed my user name and password in my router. I pluged my desk top in to the wired ports and use my Laptop wireless. I at times use the laptop wired just because I feel like it. So both work and I can print on each computers printer. I can access each computers hard drive from the other computer. I later got a wireless card from walmart for my desktop and it now works either way by wireless or wired.



You just need to read up or get someone to come over and help you set it up correctly.



I have been getting full speed DSL for the price of the slowest DSL for over a year now by not using the DSL modem. The modem is how they control your speed. You are running wide open if you don't use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment