Thursday, October 28, 2010

I have a new router and my other computer is not picking up the internet. How do I fix this?

I bought a new router today because my son's laptop kept on being dropped off of the internet. I managed to connnect this one to the internet using the exact same settings as the old router. My son's computer automatically connected to the new setting and it has a 169 ip address and won't actually connect to the new network. How do I fix this?I have a new router and my other computer is not picking up the internet. How do I fix this?
you need to use the correct WEP or WPA.



Else



Need to know how are you set up.

all in one access point?

modem then router?

Is the router wireless?

You have to set up the internet access while the pc is hooked up with an ethernet cable before you can use the wireless capabilities.I have a new router and my other computer is not picking up the internet. How do I fix this?
If you look on behind your modem (flashy lights on it) there is supposed to be a reset option to press, you might need something very skin to reach it, connect your router and modem, and then reset (resetting might take few seconds) but in other words it reset the way internet is coming in your house, so if you connect a new router, it will detect it on reset and apply the settings needed to make internet work on your new router.



hope it helps
The 169.192.x.y is the correct address. You don't use the term ';wifi'; but since this laptop is dropped I must assume that this is a wifi issue. Did you set up a security for this new router? If so from your son's computer click start, My Network and then Set Up Home or Small Office Network. Enter the name our your network and the Network Key that you used to set up the router.

It is also possible that your son's computer is too far from the router. Walls, floors, heating ducts, appliances and 2.4ghz wireless phones interfere.

Tell us a little more about this.
in this case your sons computer probably has the wireless port chip broken if so then you can get one on www.fries.com

No comments:

Post a Comment