Thursday, October 28, 2010

How do I disconnect my router without knocking off the internet connection to my PC?

My grandmother recently got rid of a laptop and still has the wireless router hooked up to her PC.



I have a wire going from the cable modem into the router and anoother ethernet wire going from the router to the PC.

If i disconnect the router from the computer and plug in the regular ethernet cable from the modem to the computer it says ';limited or no connectivity';



I can't disconnect the wireless network without disconnecting my whole PC from the internet. Someone please tell me a way I can do this without disconnecting the internet from my PC and getting the wireless router out of the computer to take it somewhere else.How do I disconnect my router without knocking off the internet connection to my PC?
Sounds to me like it's a problem with IP addresses.



Is the PC set to configure its IP through DHCP? From the computer's vantage, its IP has always been provided from the router (192.168.0.1 usually). The cable modem is serving the IP address from the ISP, which is another one.



I would check the POP settings on the PC's internet connection and make sure it isn't manually assigning an IP. If it's set for DHCP, you might want to log out or use ipconfig to renew your DHCP lease.How do I disconnect my router without knocking off the internet connection to my PC?
Plug the wire going from the cable modem to the router into the slot in the pc that is currently being used by the wire from the router to PC. Now your router is out of the loop. Reset your cable modem. This requires a complete power down of the modem, mine has a battery back up that has to be removed. When you repower the modem it should reset your IP address and connections. Hope this solves the problem.
You need to power down everything, then power the modem and then the pc. This should force an auto-detect.

No comments:

Post a Comment