Thursday, October 21, 2010

How do you use templates and a router for cutting wood?

I've read that a good technique is to (1) cut a template out of hardboard or MDF, (2) rough cut the work piece 1/8'; larger than the template, (3) attach the template and use a flush router bit to cut the workpiece flush to the template. I've tried this using 3/16'; hardboard for my template, but when I do the router cut I'm having a hard time making the cut flush to the template. The router I'm using is a straight router with a bearing at the top. I'm a novice at using the router, so any advice is appreciated.How do you use templates and a router for cutting wood?
Rich, right off the bat the answer to your question is,...with experience. That being put aside, your question is way to general. Templates are usually used as a pattern and a straight edge to make a cut. Hardwoods,even if your bit is just catching it can easily overheat or burnout a router bit in a heartbeat causing it to jam and make it impossible to properly control. Is your bearing wider than 3/16? Does the piece you want to cut require using a plunger type router? Try very simple things first. Routers, even for experienced carpenters can be tricky.How do you use templates and a router for cutting wood?
Hi Rich,

I would say the router is the most versatile tool in my shop and I use the techniques you describe in my work cutting hinges in hardwood exterior doors. I can think of only two suggestions for your problem. One may be the quality of your cutter, generally the more expensive cutters have higher quality bearings which will last longer and have tighter tolerances between the bearing and the cutter. Secondly it may be your technique, try cutting in both directions. In one direction the cutter will pull itself into the wood and tightly against the template. In the other direction the cutter will push away from the wood and will require more passes to get a a good fit.



Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment