Thursday, October 28, 2010

How do I set up a wireless router if I have a modem that is connected to a desktop?

I just brought a Dynex router today and I never set up a router before. Can someone please help me?? Please give me stey-by-step instructions! Thank you!How do I set up a wireless router if I have a modem that is connected to a desktop?
I am assuming the modem to which you refer is either DSL, cable or FIOS.



Power off everything. Then:



1) Connect the router to the modem. The Ethernet cable that comes out of the modem should be connected to the router's ';WAN'; port.

2) Connect another Ethernet cable to the router from your computer.

3) Start the modem. Start the router. Start the computer.

4) At this point, if you're extremely lucky, you won't need to do anything else. But, chances are you will.

5) Open your computer's network properties. Set the IP address to a number in the router's network address range (you'll have to check your manual, but most likely that will be 192.168.1.1). For example, 192.168.1.2. Set a subnet mask (255.255.255.0) and a gateway address to that of your router.

6) Open a browser and enter the router's address. If all goes well, you'll see the router's configuration page.

7) If your router has wireless, add wireless security (WPA is better than WEP, but WEP is better than nothing). Make your router a DHCP server.

8) Set your computer's wireless network to DHCP client, automatic DNS and the gateway to the router.



Restart, and you should be ready to go.



For additional support, check the Dynex support site.

No comments:

Post a Comment