Thursday, October 28, 2010

How do I connect my wireless router to my modem and my computer?

I have just bought a wireless router, because I want to connect my PS3 via a wireless connection. But, the ethernet port on the back of my computer is already being used by my modem. Do I need to connect both my modem and my wireless router to an ethernet port? Please help?How do I connect my wireless router to my modem and my computer?
on the router, there are maybe 5 rj45 jacks. they are marked 1 - 4 and uplink.



uplink goes to the cable/dsl modem.

1 - 4 go to your work stations.How do I connect my wireless router to my modem and my computer?
This is how it should work. Your wall cable should be plugged into the modem (in). Then connect your Wireless router(in) to the modem (out). If you have a desktop without wireless connection, connect the ethernet cable to the router (1,2,3,4..etc, any port will do). You will need to run the setup on your computer to configure the router. After setting up the router, your PS3 or other wireless devices should be able to find your wireless network and you can connect them without problem.
The modem connects to the router and only the router via an ethernet cable... you would then plug your computer to the router.

The PS3 will use the wireless off of the router with no cords (obviously)
You connect both the computer and the modem to the router.

No comments:

Post a Comment