Thursday, October 21, 2010

How can I connect to just the network through the router without connecting to the internet (in Windows 7)?

My home network uses a DLink Wireless Router. Using LAN it connects to my room, where I use another DLink Wireless Router to split the connection again to 3 systems (xbox, ps3, computer).



First DLink (192.168.0.1)

Second DLink (192.168.1.1)



There are a number of other computers running off the first DLink Router and I want to be able to connect to that Network so that we can share files.



My computer has a wireless card, so I connect wirelessly to the first DLink Router and also I have a LAN connection through the second DLink in my room.



Even though Windows 7 lists that I am connected to both at the same time, I am pretty sure it is just using my wireless connection though the first DLink to handle my internet connection. And I would it rather it did not do that and just use my LAN connection (speed tests over wireless seem to be around half that of LAN).



http://screencast.com/t/Yjc0YmVlNz (screenshot of Windows 7 Network and Sharing Center)



So I would like to use my LAN connection for internet, and just connect wirelessly to the network and not the internet through the first DLink.



Thoughts? Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment