Thursday, November 11, 2010

How do I connect my desktop to internet through router?

I want to connect my desktop to the internet through a wireless router. I have connected my modem to the router and router to the desktop via ethernet wires as directed. My desktop does claim it is connected to the network, however, when I open a web browser the internet does not work. Any suggestions?How do I connect my desktop to internet through router?
if you are connected to the internet but can not browse, then it might be a problem with TCP/IP properties.How do I connect my desktop to internet through router?
Well first you have to make sure that the cat5 port to the hi speed modem is connected to the modem and not your computer. Second, make sure your computer is connected to either one of the 4 router ports to your network card on your pc. Once its connected, reboot your machine, when its back up, unplug your modem for about a minute and then reconnect it, do the same to the power of the wireless router. In a standard configuration this should get you up and running.



If you are trying to connect wirelessly then you need to logon to the modem and configure your wireless access complete with which channel you will be using, your encryption type and encryption code. Then you will need to configure those same things in your pc once it detects your system provided you have a wireless network card on your pc.
It's hard to tell your exact problem for sure from what you've described.



One test is to connect the modem directly to the computer's Ethernet jack. If you can surf that way, then the modem is working fine and you can rule that out as a problem.



If that is the case, then there are settings that need to be fixed on the router and/or computer (for example, IP range settings on the computer; possibly DHCP settings on the router..too many variables to describe here) The router setup page should help you. It looks like a web page in a browser window. Refer to your router's manual for the IP address and set up instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment