Thursday, November 11, 2010

How can I set up a wireless router without having working Ethernet port on my laptop computer?

For some reason, the ethernet port on my laptop is not functioning. I just purchased a wireless router, and according to

the instructions for setup I need to at some point in the process connect the router to my computer. I heard somewhere a while back that there is a way to set up the wireless router without connecting the router to my computer AND without using the intallation software the router came with. I am however able to connect to the internet with a USB cable, but my router (and all other routers in the store) do not have a USB connection port.



From what I can gather, it has something to do with typing a generic IP address into a web browser or something.



CAN ANYONE HELP!!!!



Any advise is GREATLY appreciated.



Thank you SOO much!How can I set up a wireless router without having working Ethernet port on my laptop computer?
That web address accesses the router through the ethernet port. Fix the ethernet port or get a new one. They make ones that attach through USB and ones that plug into the PC Card slot.How can I set up a wireless router without having working Ethernet port on my laptop computer?
Well the generic ID has to come from you service provider but if you have a wireless modem that is supported by the server then they can help set you up But you have to insist that you want to set it up wireless or they will try to throw you off and make you spend money tht you do not have to
Dude, you have to have a connection to the router somewhere. If you are hooking up a router - I would assume that you have more than one computer. Can the laptop go wireless?

Don't you have a desktop that you can connect to the router with?
Assuming all of the above is correct, that the Ethernet port actually is broken (and not a matter of a driver) it then comes down to the model and manufacturer of the router and their default settings.



If their default settings have the wireless interface turned on, you can see if you can connect to it.



To do this, you'd click on the Wireless icon on your task bar, by the clock. Or you can click on Start%26gt; Connect to%26gt; Show all Connections. Yet another way, opening up My Computer and clicking on My Network places.



After that, you'd right click on your wireless connection and click on ';View availble wireless networks'; and then connect to the one listed. Like, ';Linksys'; or ';Mshome'; or whatever the default is for your device.



After you are connected, you can administer the router by typing in it's IP address. Probably 192.168.0.1. You can discover what it is by going to Start%26gt;Run typing in CMD and then typing IPCONFIG and looking at the IP address for the default gateway for your wireless connection.







If that works, you're in luck. However, most routers do not have the wireless part enabled by default if they have ethernet ports on them. And would require connecting to it.



If your laptop is out of the question, going to a friends computer long enough to enable the Wireless part would work as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment