Sunday, November 14, 2010

How do I connect my BT broadband router to an ethernet socket on the wall?

I am in student accommodation, and so have an ethernet socket on my wall - I want to connect my router to this to act as an ethernet hub and broadcast a wireless signal. The only input seems to be a phoneline socket. Is there any way to do this?How do I connect my BT broadband router to an ethernet socket on the wall?
I think that you have a modem, that's why you only have a phoneline socket. All routers have an ethernet sockets, so make sure you have a correct routher, othervice you will not be abble to do anythiing with it.



Good luckHow do I connect my BT broadband router to an ethernet socket on the wall?
I am confused about what you have.



You claim to have an ';ethernet socket'; and later state the ';only input seems to be a phone line socket';. I presume ';ethernet socket'; is an RJ 45 and a ';phone line socket'; is an RJ 11. Are there two different sockets or is there only one? Further, we have absolutely no idea what sort of feed you have to this socket.



Please clarify as follows:



1. Is there an RJ 45 socket? This is the 8 conductor larger socket used in computer networks. If you have an RJ 45 socket, what sort of signal is provided to it? Is it a network connection to a LAN which also has Internet connectivity?



2. Is there an RJ 11 socket? this is the 4 conducter smaller socket used in voice phone lines. It does not provide an Ethernet signal. However, if it is a voice phone with a DSL signal, a DSL modem can be connected to it and it can be configured to provide Internet access over the DSL. Again we need clarification.



3. Finally what do you mean by ';BT broadband router';? Given the lack of details and clarity regarding what sort of wall outlets you have and what they feed, I must conclude that this device can be a DSL modem / router / switch or a DSL Modem or perhaps just a gateway router. Whether it can be used depends upon what it actually is and what sort of feed you have from your RJ 45 socket if it is indeed an RJ 45 socket.



I may appear to be very exacting and particular to you. However, no one can help you with the uncertainty of the information provided.



I suggest you review what you have, double check your information, and then repost your question as a new question and someone will be happy to assist.
You can not do this with a dsl router, as it has a modem connection, not lan. You would need a wireless access point for this as they will not allow a router. You can get into serious trouble for this in most student accommodation, even being evicted.
if the socket on the wall is indeed an ethernet socket then you cannot use the bt home hub as it plugs into a standard phone line socket which is different to an ethernet socket, you may be able to use a cable router which will have an ethernet plug on it, the bt one is a modem/router which can only be used on standard phone lines as do any modem/router. you need a router without a built in modem, cable routers dont have the built in modem
  • good property for sale
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment