Sunday, November 14, 2010

How can I secure my wireless router to keep other people from using it?

I have a linksy wireless router that was given to me. How can I put a password on it to make it secure?How can I secure my wireless router to keep other people from using it?
hold the reset button in on the back of the router for 30 seconds.

open up internet explorer and in the address bar type:



192.168.1.1



user: admin

password: admin



Navigate to the wireless setting.



Setup WEP security and obtain a key

Copy down that key somewhere safe to use when other computers want to connect because they will need to have that key to enter as well.



Change your user name and password: admin is the default that comes out of the box and holding the reset button down erases the previous user name and password your friend would of setup for his/her connection.



You can use WEP if you just want to have the same key for anyone that will use the network or you can use WAP that gives individual keys for each user on the network.How can I secure my wireless router to keep other people from using it?
Read in the owner's manuel about how to set up a WPA or WEP.

If you do not have the owner's manuel you get find in online at the linksys website.



http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/supp



I would tell you step by step, but I need the model number of your router to give you an accurate answer.
usually software comes with these routers. If not, go to the Lynksys website. Download the latest drivers as well as the manual. Follow the instructions.



Good Luck.
when you hook up your wireless it will ask if you want a security click yes and name it. no one will be able to use it apart from you.
linksys are easy to crack even if u had a password. id suggest a 2-wire

No comments:

Post a Comment