Sunday, November 14, 2010

How many computers can I connect to my wireless router?

I have a wireless cable router and am having 10 people over to my home who are all going to be online at the same time running Java. Is this going to be too much for my cable connection/router? How do I make sure this isn't a problem? Thanks!How many computers can I connect to my wireless router?
While 10 is ';theoretically ok';, that is a bit much to have all those on wireless at the same time. What happens is that the more you put on at the same time, the more ';collisions'; and ';retries'; you get with wireless. It's like having 10 people in a room all talking at the same time, loudly, and you (aka the router), have to figure out who to listen to and who to respond to. It's not a linear thing... Two clients may degrade performance by 10-20% (as an example), but 10 people may be 30-50 times worse...



If you can get some of those people to run wired instead, it will help a lot...How many computers can I connect to my wireless router?
The router you probably have is a basic home router. Which most of them only hold up to 4 devices at a time. Get a switch/hub or a more advanced router that supports more devices at a time.



Ten people on 1 connection is definitely overload for a basic home connection (assuming that is your connection) you definitely should get a better connection/ more connections
Your not going to have any problems with connecting.

If all of them use the internet at the same time then the internet is going to get slow due to low bandwidth but all of them will be able to connect.
I think you might have a problem. I have a high speed wireless router and when I was downloading World of Warcraft, my other two computers had serious download decreases.
you can connect more 5 PC's under the same network and router, though 10 PC's would be possible but it may slow down your current connection.
It will be fine, it may just be slow. All those people will be dividing both the wireless speed and the speed of your Internet connection.
Try getting a hub i dont think there are routers that hold that much.

http://www.swnetworksolutions.com/ee110t

thats if you use a wire for them all



Wireless will be fine :]
I can't see that it would pose a problem.



I have seen a lot more connected to one wireless router (switch) before and they didn't have problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment