Sunday, November 14, 2010

How do I make my browser work when my computer is connected to my wireless router?

Windows XP. Linksys WRT54G.



When my internet cable is plugged directly into my computer from the wall, my computer obtains an IP address and connects to my browser no problem.



When I plug the cable from the wall into my router and then from the router into the computer, it also obtains a IP address, says I'm connected but my browser will not work. This also happens when I connect to it wirelessly.



So basically, when I go directly from the modem to my computer my internet works fine, but when I go through to router, it says it's connected (Internet and WLAN light are both on as well on the router) and has IP address but the browser will not work.



I've tried so many things, PLEASE HELP!!!How do I make my browser work when my computer is connected to my wireless router?
make sure it gets IP Address, Gateway, %26amp; DNS. go to Start %26gt; Run %26gt; type CMD to open command prompt, then type IPCONFIG /ALL, make sure the adapter has tcp info.



Also don't use wireless and ethernet at the same time, 1 or the other, if you plug your ethernet in, disable the wireless, if you use wireless don't plug in the ethernet.



Make note of those IP Addresses, then from the copmmand line ping the default gateway ip (ie.. ping 192.168.1.1) or whatever your gateway IP is. if that works you can communicate with the router. Next ping an external host such as ping yahoo.com, if it fails ping the IP...ping 66.94.234.13 if that works its a bad DNS ServerHow do I make my browser work when my computer is connected to my wireless router?
Log into your router when computer is plugged into it by typing the number 192.168.1.1 into your browsers address bar and putting in the appropriate password you chose. (The default password for that router is ';admin'; with no username.)



Click on the tab that says ';Status'; at the upper right and look at the Internet IP address, or WAN IP address field. If it begins with any of the following, it is wrong and you should probably contact your ISPs tech support:



1) 192.168.x.x

2) 172.16.x.x

3) 10.x.x.x



You could also try using the ';Clone MAC Address'; feature in the router to pull the MAC address from your computer. Some ISPs only allow a specific MAC address that was given at time of setup to connect.
unplug your modem. reconnect your linksys and then power up the modem.



your modem is Mac filtering the router from the internet



alt method start run cmd type in ipconfig /all write down your Mac address or your physical address then log into your linksys and use the function called mac clone enter the mac address of your computer that you wrote down. newer linksys will allow you to see your mac addres of your computer automaticly and select which one to clone.
What make/model of modem do you have?



If the modem has NAT, you will need to bridge it first before you can use the router.
you re simpling having a gateway issue... if you connect from the router, automaticaly the router ip turns to your gateway address.



try working with that.



Rgards

No comments:

Post a Comment