Sunday, November 14, 2010

How can I make my internet connection to my router faster?

My desktop computer is connected via ethernet cable to my router. I use my desktop mostly to play online computer games. My roommate connects to the router via wireless with his laptop. Whenever he is downloading large files on his computer, I notice that the games I am playing on my computer start to lag a lot. As soon as he stops downloading, my connection instantly gets better.



Is there anything I can do to improve my connection without having to make my roommate turn off all his downloads?How can I make my internet connection to my router faster?
Depending on the router and its firmware there might be somewhere on your router settings tabs a section that's called QOS (quality of service) and its there you can prioritize types of traffic, you can specify internet and games to have high priority and downloads and torrent to have lower priority.



If you cant find these settings in your router I always Highly recommend downloading and installing third party firmware(tomato or better yet DD-WRT, that has a better interface and tons of settings,and even bandwidth monitoring as well as more stability.



Give me a shout if you need help getting things done on your routerHow can I make my internet connection to my router faster?
Glad I could help

Report Abuse


Nope.

It's all in the ports. Kick your roommate out, he's freeloading off of your internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment