Thursday, November 11, 2010

Can I plug my wireless router into the back of my computers ethernet port to share the Internet?

And how do i configure my computer to do so. And also my wireless router is a Netgear WGR614.Can I plug my wireless router into the back of my computers ethernet port to share the Internet?
That's how it works, YES.





However, you have to understand the order of the connections..



The MODEM gets plugged into the back of the router FIRST, into the slot marked INTERNET on the back of the router.





Then, you just run the cable that came with the router from any one of the other 4 slots on the back of the router directly to your computers

network card.



Then just run the software that came with the router from the computer the router is physically attached to.



Its pretty simple. Then, depending on whether you have a wireless router or wired router, you will set up a wireless network name an so forth.



If you are just using a wired setup, you will simply run another cable from one of the three remaining slots to your other computer.



Just remember.....the MODEM gets plugged into the slot marked INTERNET on the back of the router, and the other things such as computers, network printers and so forth go into the other slots on the back of the router.Can I plug my wireless router into the back of my computers ethernet port to share the Internet?
Connect the cable/dsl modem to the router's WAN port(sometimes named as Modem Port, internet port, Up-link port).

Then connect the router's LAN port to the computer.

Then turn off everything.

Turn on cable/dsl modem, wait few minutes until most lights show up.

Turn on the router, wait few minutes until most lights show up.

Turn on the PC.
The router will have both wired and wireless. It's all about connecting the cables properly. There should be a wan or Internet port on the back of the router. Connect that to your modem. The port will be a port further away from the other ports. The other ports that are closer together than the one far apart will connect to the computers. That's it, it's all plug and play.



Instead of wireless, I highly recommend this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9KWdOLgy

No comments:

Post a Comment