Sunday, December 11, 2011

How to know my router is broadcasting wireless N ?

I have a NETGEAR WNR834Bv2 Wireless N router. My mom's computer is on the other side of the house, and has a N wireless card. However, when checking her connection it is very low and her wireless manager software says its broadcasting at wireless G. What do I do? How to know my router is broadcasting wireless N ?
She is nearly out of range so her connection drops back to G standard. You need to improve the location of the router, as high as possible and well clear of obstructions. Moving her machine may help. If nothing else works you may need to buy a wireless range extender to mount between the router and the machine. Even at 54Mbps G standard it should be much faster than your internet connection, though.How to know my router is broadcasting wireless N ?
Try boot into your wireless router. You can do this by typing in the IP Address of the router on a pc that is connected via ethernet to the router via a web browser.



Look for something such as WLAN / Wireless on the menu that should appear.



You may see a drop down box that allows you to choose what type you want to use e.g 802.11b/g %26amp; 802.11n



Select .11n and you should be good to go.



I hope this helps, im not a wireless expert :(



EDIT: Isnt ';N'; meant to be twice the range of standard B %26amp; G? I dont know, if someone knew the frequencies... could you please tell me?
Has this ever worked at N speeds?



I would log into the router and check the wireless settings to make sure that N hasn't been turned off.



I would then go to mom's computer and download the latest drivers for her adapter. Is she also Netgear? Remove the card under Devices in the Control Panel (Don't pull the card from machine) Or pull the USB device. Install the new drivers. Then reinstall the device and check the connection.



You should be at N speeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment