Sunday, December 11, 2011

How do I keep my router (2nd cmoputer) to not get disconnected when the computer goes to stand by?

I have a wireless router for the 2nd computer that always offs whenever I stay away for too long. This affects my AIM because it causes the AIM to sign off (because theres no internet connection). How can I stay online while the computer is in standby?How do I keep my router (2nd cmoputer) to not get disconnected when the computer goes to stand by?
Standby is sort of like turning off your computer. You can't stay online in standby. If you want to stay online, turn off standby from the power management screen and just shut your monitor off.How do I keep my router (2nd cmoputer) to not get disconnected when the computer goes to stand by?
You can do what arbitrage said, or you can just disable your ethernet card from sleeping so that that part of your compute is still active.
When the macine goes into standby, the NIC will cease to function. Disable standby and hibernation to keep the link live.



Sorry, just re-read your question. Most likely your wireless router is using PPPoE to connect. Those connections will shut down after a period of non-use. There should be a setting in the PPPoE configuration page in the router setup called ';keep alives'; or something similar. Enable that, and if it lets you set a time period go with 5 minutes.



If your router doesn't have that setting (very rare) or you can't find it, you'll need to fool the system into thinking you're still on line. That's pretty easy. Leave your e-mail client running and set it to check for new mail every 5 minutes. You will have to disable standby and hibernation modes for this workaround to work.
  • keyboard and mouse clash up
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment