Sunday, December 11, 2011

How do you find the distance to your wireless router?

I lost my ipod touch. I know it is somewhere static. I know it accessed my gmail account at about 7:30. Is there a way that i can tell how far from the wireless router that signal was sent? If i knew the distance then there would be a circle of places that it could be, right? Any program or application within the router. I have a linksys WRT54G router.How do you find the distance to your wireless router?
I'd bet on 50 to 75 feet, but its hard to tell. I mean if its through lots of thick walls, it could be much closer. If its in a wide open barn, it could be much farther away. If you're sure it is within your router range, I'd just start looking around everywhere.



Start with in between seat cushions. I know a guy who swears there are Lorenz invariences (Non-Einsteinian gravitational nonconformities) around seat cushions which cause all manner of things to get sucked in, and while I disagree about the physics, I can't discount the fact that lots of stuff seems to get under seat cushions, with little rational explanation. The laundry hamper is a good place to check too, as long as it doesn't end up wherever the disappearing socks go.



If you're interested in better wireless internet, check out WiMax from Clear. It is only in Portland, Oregon right now, but it is coming to other cities soon. It is superfast and you can walk pretty much anywhere in the metro area and have wireless. (Never tried inside a bank vault, but it works in the subway.) http://www.clear.com/?utm_source=bcHow do you find the distance to your wireless router?
If your ipod touch was on your gmail account about 7:30, without checking the router logs you wouldn't know that it actually accessed your router.



If it can use your Linksys router, especially the basic model, it is within 200 feet max. However, it's likely much closer- because 200 feet is a large range for a basic router and at that range the speed would be close.



Have you tried looking for the iPod Touch? If it's not moving then you're more likely to find it.



I guess next time you aren't going to lose your expensive and precious iPod now are you?
Sorry to tell you, but most likely it's impossible :-(
from 100'to 250'

No comments:

Post a Comment